The SIMPLE BOX, the official nest box of the LCBS was designed by a past member, Joe O’Halloran. The box is built by our member Steve Seffrood. Steve builds the boxes from cedar and mounts them on conduit. We consider it to be the best box available for Eastern Bluebirds. To install the box, you simply push a piece of rebar (included) into the ground a couple of feet and slip the conduitover the rebar (learn more about installing the box below). The box is a convenient weight and easy to monitor with the front, drop down opening. The roof overhang protects the entrance hole from rain, discourages predators that climb to the roof, and helps protect the box from overheating in the hot summer sun.
THE SIMPLE NEST BOX PLANS
We now have a plan that anyone can use to build the Simple nest box for bluebirds . Several of us have been using the box for the past few years. Our records indicate that the Eastern Bluebird production from the box is very good. It is the official box of the LCBS. The original design was created by past member, Joe O’Halloran. A few changes have been made to make the Simple box a little simpler to make. We want to know what you think of the plans, what you think of the box and, (when you get it up for the bluebirds) what kind of results you have. You can email your comments to us at firstname.lastname@example.org . This CAD drawing was created by Fred Stille http://www.nestboxbuilder.com/ Thanks, Fred, for doing this for us. And thanks to Rod Lindell for drawing the first plan and getting the ball rolling, as well as, Steve Seffrood and Jim Barth for their input.
Here is the plan for the Simple nest box. Click on the plan to enlarge it.
HOW TO INSTALL THE SIMPLE NESTBOX
The Simple nest box, intended for Eastern Bluebirds, is a design unique to the Lafayette County Bluebird Society, Inc. It was designed and named by past member, Joe O’Halloran. The box is made of cedar wood and ready for placing on your bluebird trail. Trail tests over the years have indicated that bluebirds prefer the box over other designs.
- Before you install the Simple box, consider if there is a concern about underground wires and, if there is, contact diggers hotline before placing the nest box.
- Push or pound the rebar into the ground about 2 feet.
- Place the conduit over the rebar and press into the ground a few inches.
- Face the box toward the southeast if possible.
- During the nesting season, collect data from your nest box about eggs laid, birds hatched and birds fledged.
- Before September 7 of each year, email your yearly nest box results to: email@example.com
- Or mail the results to: Lafayette County Bluebird Society, Inc., 9320 Wicks Rd, Gratiot, WI 53541.
- For more information about bluebirds, go to: htt://lafayettecountybluebirdsociety.wordpress.com
- Form for reporting to the Bluebird Restoration Association of Wisconsin are found on their web site on our home page.
- The LCBS encourages bluebirders to send the gathered information to BRAW at the end of the nesting season
- Happy Bluebirding!!
The Simple box is for sale at the Bluebird Nest Nature Center at 308 Main Street in Darlington, WI and are displayed at: Darlington Feed and Ag Center, Hwy 23 S, Darlington, at Nature’s Gifts and Greenhouse, Hwy 81, Darlington, and at Greg’s Feed and Seed on Co. N, Wiota.